Tennis has been played in Gosford and surrounding city council areas since the 1890’s, with the Gosford Tennis Club (GTC) forming in 1906. The GTC then became an affiliate and Association, under the name Gosford District Tennis Assoc. in March 1933. In 1959, Gosford Tennis Club (GTC) and the headquarters of the GDTA moved to its current site located at Racecourse Rd, West Gosford, known as Vaughan Park (Main Centre) from the now known site of Central Coast Stadium.
In 1975 the Whitlam Red Scheme provided funding of $1M to construct an additional tennis Centre located across from the Main Centre, on Racecourse Rd and called the Northern or lower Complex. This Centre took the total number of tennis courts to 23 and car parking for approx. 150 motor vehicles. In the early 1990’s the Gosford City Band Hall was constructed however both the Main and Northern Centre’s have predominately been used for the tennis community hosting National, State and Regional events and once boasting a membership of approximately 1,600 players. The GDTA was incorporated as a not-for- profit entity in May 2001 and today 2,000 registered members play within the Gosford LGA.
From 1997, the day-to day operations of the club have been managed by a business licensee and as of 31 December 2016, the GDTA has fully operated the business, trading under the GTC to comply with current Council leasing requirements. The GDTA submits on behalf of the 16 Tennis Centre’s within the LGA requests to host major tennis events that are regularly played at the GTC.